Quinoa is such a versatile ingredient and it’s nutritional profile is hard to beat. It s definitely one of my faves and can be enjoyed hot or cold/ savoury or sweet.This recipe is so simple to whip up and even better you can get all the ingredients in store.
Chewy Chocolate Quinoa Cookies
The coconut flakes combined with the quinoa make for a really soft and chewy cookie but I have also since tried without the coconut. The peanut butter helps bind and gives a mildly peanutty taste but you could sub for cashew or almond butter if you want the chocolate to dominate.
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- ¼ cup peanut butter (add a pinch of salt if not salted)
- ¼ cup homemade date syrup and a pinch of pure stevia (you could use 3 tbs maple syrup, coconut syrup or agave if you prefer)
- ¼ cup unsweeteneed dessicated coconut flakes
- ¼ cup cocoa nibs or dark choc chips
- ¼ cup cocoa powder
- Step 1 Mix the peanut butter and date syrup, add a tiny touch of hot water if not already ‘drippy’.
- Step 2 Stir in the remaining ingredients until fully coated and sticky.
- Step 3 Scoop into fat cookie dollops and place on a lined baking sheet. Bake at a fairly low temperature (I opted for 160C so as not to risk burning the date syrup) for 10-15 minutes until slightly golden.
- Step 4 The cookies will be soft when they come out of the oven and will firm up to touch as they cool but remain soft in the centre.
- Step 5 Note: I have since also made these adding one mashed banana which helps to sweeten and bind the mix even more. Reduce syrup/stevia accordingly to taste.