Now, before you get ahead of yourself, these little treats aren’t identical to fudge…so don’t go expecting a regular sugar loaded, melt in your mouth (furry teeth inducing) fudge morsel. These little treats are full of healthy ingredients, are sugar free and have a really soft but firm, chocolatey, fudgey bite to them, I find them really moreish and the only word I could use to describe them is…well…fudgey!
Perfect for a mid-afternoon pick-me-up or a post work-out protein boost. What provides the protein…black beans of course!
The ‘dough’ is so simple to prepare and very easy to handle. It is also very ‘accommodating’, and by that I mean it holds together really well, so I imagine it could take all sort of mix-ins without a problem….chunks of nuts, fruits, chocolate chips. Feel free to experiment with your favourite flavours. I have used both cranberry and coconut here.
- 200gor ½ can black beans- rinsed and drained
- 1 medium mashed banana
- ½ cup cocoa powder (or raw cacoa powder for an even healthier boost)
- 1/3 cup dates
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp stevia
- ½ cup ground oats
- 2 tbs ground flax
- 2 tbs chia seeds (optional)
- Dessicated coconut to coat
- Cranberries (or other dried fruit)- finely chopped and mixed through
- Step 1 Combine all ingredients in a food processor and blend until a smooth dough is formed.
- Step 2 Add additional dried fruit here also if using. The dough should be fairly tacky but not sticky and should be easy to handle.
- Step 3 Form a log of dough approx. 5cm in diameter. Roll the log in desiccated coconut if desired.
- Step 4 Using a sharp knife, cut the log into rounds approx. 1-2cm thick.
- Step 5 Store in a sealed contained in the fridge for up to a week. (these also freeze well).