Served hot or cold this sheet cake slice seriously hits the spot. It’s moist, dense, protein packed with a sweet banana kick.
This freezes superbly too and because it’s pretty dense it also travels well… Whether that be to the office or backpacking up a mountain.
Stir in some extra dried fruit, spices, seeds or nuts, just whatever you fancy to get that texture just as you like it. The quinoa gives it a great texture as it is, this is no ‘airy fairy barely touched the sides cake’ it’s a subtly sweet snack to get your teeth into.
Banana Quinoa Slice
- 3 ripe bananas
- ¼ cup oil (I use coconut)
- ½ cup date paste (or ¼ cup syrup of choice)
- ¼ tsp stevia (or add another ¼ cup dry sweetener of choice)
- 2 cups coarse ground rolled oats
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 2 tbs flax/ground chia
- ½ cup non-dairy milk of choice
- 1 ½ cup cooked quinoa (1/2 cup uncooked)
- ½ cup flaked coconut or nuts of choice (I used walnut chunks)
- Step 1 Prepare the quinoa (I have pre-cooked freezer portions at the ready!)
- Step 2 Mix all wet ingredients (except quinoa), add the dry (except nuts) and stir through lightly to mix until smooth. Add the quinoa and nuts in the last few strokes.
- Step 3 Use a lined medium square baking pan (the mixture should end up approx 2cm deep) spread the mixture evenly and drag a fork across the top for texture.
- Step 4 Bake at 180C for approx 30 mins until the top is golden and banana lightly browned at the edges.