I guess this dish is little bit of a contradiction. Shepherd’s pie without meat or potato- the two key ingredients right? Wrong!!
Here I have gone for a tomatoey lentil mix to substitute the meaty filling and a lightened up mashed cauliflower topping. This dish tasted so good, even better than I had anticipated as the mashed topping was really amazing.
Summer Shepherd`s Pie
- 1 small white onion- finely chopped
- 1 carrot- finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely sliced red cabbage
- 1 carton of chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 2 cloves garlic- crushed
- 1 scant tsp dried italian herbs
- 1 1/2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1-2 tsp fine flour mixed with 1 tbs water (for thickening- i used gram flour)
- 1 1/2 cup grated cauliflower
- 1 tbs nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp wholegrain mustard
- 1 tbs almond butter (i used this blanched almond butter)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Step 1 Chop onion, carrot and cabbage finely by hand or pulse in food processor (I did that).
- Step 2 Saute the veggies for approx. 5 mins with the garlic, dried herbs and a splash of oil.
- Step 3 Once softening, add the frozen peas, chopped tomatoes and lentils, allow to simmer for another 5 mins. Add a little flour to thicken a little if needed.
- Step 4 Meanwhile grate (or process) the cauliflower until fine. Boil or steam until tender (approx. 5 minutes). Drain well and add the remaining topping ingredients and blend until thick and smooth.
- Step 5 To assemble, spoon the base mix into a 15-20cm deep pie dish and top with the cauliflower mix using a fork to roughen the surface.
- Step 6 Bake at 200ºC for approx. 30 minutes or until the top begins to go golden.
- Step 7 Serve immediately.